||Overview of Terms
||1) Open a new Excel worksheet.
2) Put your first name in cell B3
3) Put your last name in cell D4
||Copying Data from the
||1) Start Excel and make sure you have a blank workbook.
2) Go to http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/boxoffice/
2) Select the first 10 movies and their statistics.
3) Use ctrl + C to copy from the website, then ctrl + V to paste
the table into your Excel workbook.
4) Save your workbook as weekend gross, in your folder in My
Part 1...........Part 2
1) Remove the hyperlinks from the names of the movies in your
2) Change the size of the column for the name of the movie and
the name of the movie production company.
3) Change the size of the font for the column of movie production
companies to 8.
1) Select the movie titles column.
2) Go to Format Cells > Alignment and choose wrap text.
3) Click and drag to select your whole table
4) Go to Format Cells > Borders and choose an outline style
5) Go to Patterns and choose a background color for your cells.
||1) Enter the titles of the columns:
Weeks in Release
2) Select the titles and make them bold by clicking the bold button. Number of
||Simple formulas with
||Use AutoSum to find the following:
Total this weekend
for the top 10 films
*Average this weekend for the top 10 films
*Average number of theatres for (pick one distribution company)
*Average number of theaters for (pick another distribution
to label each calculation.
||1) Select your table with your header row and sort
by Distributor. Show this to your teacher.
2) Select your table again and sort by This Week, which will put it back in the
||Making a Pie Chart
||1) Select just the columns of movie titles and
weekend grosses by holding down the ctrl key while you click
and drag the two columns.
2) Go to Insert > Chart and choose
one of the styles of pie chart. You do not have to choose the
exact same style as
3) Title your chart Weekend Gross Top Ten and put today's date
in parentheses. Place the chart on its own worksheet.
||Page Setup and Printing
Worksheet for Excel Tutorials (ic_assn9_excel.doc) version